Membership in USSSA Offers You:
- Private Facebook Group
- On Topic Sharing Solutions
- Small Schools Virtual Brunch
- Large Schools Huddle
- Monthly Sharing Solutions
- State Calls
- Owners Circle
- Human Resources & Insurance
- Legal Support
- Financial Planning
- USSSA Infant Toddler Course
- USSSA Special Abilities Course
- Conferences & Workshops
- Library of Resources
- Online Training
- Magazine & enews
- Swim School Minimum Standards
- Fundamentals Swim Instructor Certification
- Code of Ethics
- Water Safety
- Voice in the Industry
The United States Swim School Association is a non-profit association that began in 1988 to fill a need in the swim school industry. We bring together for-profit swim schools across the country and around the world. Our core purpose is to provide resources to assist our members in achieving their goals in the learn-to-swim business. We focus on providing a community for swim school owners, as well as business resources, best practices and industry connections. We build community through both in person events and virtual learning/sharing meetings. We offer business resources and solutions in the areas of human resources, insurance, recruitment, legal, marketing, financial planning, and operations. Our flagship Infant Toddler and Special Abilities courses offer best practices for swim schools, in addition to conferences, workshops, webinars, an online library and quarterly magazine. When being a part of USSSA, you are a part of something bigger. We partner with aquatic leaders and non-profit organizations to elevate the industry and promote water safety. For questions, call us at 480-837-5525.
Currently, the United States Swim School Association has over 500 member schools in 43 states and 17 countries worldwide. Historically member schools have provided swimming and water safety instruction to over 500,000 students each year.
Qualifications to become a member: A “swim school” is defined as a for-profit enterprise organized for the primary purpose of teaching swimming at any age or secondary purpose of teaching swimming that derives at least 80% of its income from child driven programs. A publicly traded corporation cannot be a member. Effective March 1, 2020 all member owners must complete a background check on themselves as part of membership renewal or application.
Minimum Standards for Swim School Members in the US:
- Swim School Owner(s) are background checked
- Background checks are performed on all staff over 18
- At least one CPR/First Aid Certified individual is in the facility during hours of operation
- Lifesaving equipment and first aid supplies are easily accessible and replenished as needed (equipment may include rescue tube or ring buoy; shepherd’s crook or reaching pole; spineboard; automated external defibrillator; gloves; breathing masks)
- No more than 1 to 6 ratio for beginner or intermediate swim lessons when parent is not present in the water (recommend 1 to 4 ratio or less)
- An Emergency Action Plan (EAP) has been developed to meet the needs of your swim school
- Instructors receive formal training that should include first aid, proper supervision during swim lessons, bloodborne pathogens, abuse prevention, emergency action plans, reducing fear & anxiety, child development related to teaching swim and the importance of a positive learning environment
- Provide proof of insurance for learn to swim program
Current members have until their 2022 renewal to reach these standards. New members have up to one year from joining to reach these standards. USSSA offers support and services to assist a swim school in reaching these minimum standards. Contact our office for details.
Membership in the US Swim School Association is $448 per year for schools based in the United States, $448 per year for International Participating Schools (full member benefits) and $304 per year for International Affiliate Schools (access to education). We encourage you to enroll all your additional school locations for $65 each to ensure they are listed on our Find a School directory. There is a one-time new member application fee of $30. All school memberships allow for an unlimited number of individual user accounts for swim teachers and administrative professionals from your school.