Drowning is the single leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 4 and is one of the top causes of death for teens. With formal swim lessons being shown to reduce the risk of drowning by 88%, need for swim lessons is just as important as ever. The CDC has stated that the “CDC is not aware of any scientific reports of the virus that causes COVID-19 spreading to people through the water in pools, hot tubs, water playgrounds, or other treated aquatic venues.” The United States Swim School Association has created and then updated on 7-23-2020 an Action Plan to assist swim schools with safely getting back to teaching during COVID-19. We continue to recommend that swim schools follow local guidelines and regulations related to COVID-19. We’ve also listed resources from various sources below pertaining to swim lessons and children during these challenging times.
With less swimming instruction coupled with more distractions at home, industry experts are concerned that drownings will be on the rise during COVID-19.
- American Academy of Pediatrics: While Staying at Home During COVID-19, Children’s Drowning Risk May Increase
- News4Jax: Drownings on track to reach 10-year high in Florida
- The New York Times: Kids, Covid and Delta
- AZ Family: Experts Worry COVID-19 Could Lead to Spike in Drownings
- KHOU: Drowning, not COVID-19, Biggest Risk in Water this Memorial Day Weekend, Doctor Says
- KHOU: COVID-19 Pandemic Leads to Spike in Child Drownings in Texas
- WFAA: Experts Fear COVID-19 Social Restrictions Could Lead to More Child Drownings
- Bay State Parent: While Staying at Home During COVID-19, Children’s Drowning Risk May Increase Pediatricians Warn
- CBS Sacramento: ‘Drowning Is Quick And It’s Silent’: 9 Out Of 10 Drowning Deaths Happen While Child Is Supervised
So the experts agree – swim lessons should continue!
- CA Department of Health: Learning to swim is essential
- University of Alabama: Are Swimming Pools Safe During COVID-19? Tips for Safely Enjoying the Water
- ABC News: Swimming and COVID-19: UAB Doctor Discusses Risks, Safety Precautions
Looking for more information on COVID-19 safety and swim lessons?
- Effectiveness of Face Shields: JAMA Network: Moving Personal Protective Equipment Into the Community, Face Shields and Containment of COVID-19
- Fox News: ‘No Evidence’ COVID-19 can be Spread in Swimming Pools, Water Play Areas, CDC Says
- DailyMail.com: Study: Chlorinated water can kill COVID-19 in 30 seconds
- The Daily Independent: Pool Safety a Priority as Summer Approaches Amid COVID-19
- WBRC: Families Continue Swim Lessons During COVID-19
- Business Insider: You Probably Won’t Catch Coronavirus from Swimming
- Fox 5 Atlanta: Summer camps resume at Atlanta Swim Academy
Please continue to follow your local and state guidelines. In addition to local resources listed below, you can utilize this Local Health Department Directory for more information.